Thursday, January 11, 2007

33 weeks!

(How I see Oliver with my belly in the way!)


33 weeks down, 3 more to go! And we’re finally having some decent weather. It’s cloudy, cool and slightly breezy, high expected to be 60 degrees. It’s about time, I was getting pretty irritable in the warm weather. Earlier this week, it was 80 degrees in the middle of January! I’ve always been a cool weathered person, but since being pregnant I’m even more so. It’s all that extra blood coursing through the body. I feel sorry for people who’s pregnancy is ending in the middle of a heat wave. As it is, I’m sleeping without any blankets at night.

Another side effect I’ve recently acquired is carpal tunnel. All my finger joints in my left hand hurt. What’s that about? I looked it up and this is what they say, “You may be feeling some aches and even numbness in your fingers, wrists, and hands. Like many other tissues in your body, those in your wrist can swell, which can increase pressure in the carpal tunnel, a bony canal in your wrist. Nerves that run through this "tunnel" end up pinched, creating numbness, tingling, shooting or burning pain, or a dull ache.” Crazy, isn’t it?

So I’ve mentioned previously, bed rest is no fun but it looks like I’m not alone. Desperate Housewives (Bree) Marcia Cross has been put on bed rest. She’s carrying twins due in April. Also, Dr McDreamy’s (Grey’s Anatomy) real life wife, also carrying twins is on bed rest. She couldn’t make the People’s Choice Awards where Patrick Dempsey won Best Actor for (fill in the blank). She’s due at the end of this month. All these twins! Having 2 doesn’t seem like such a big deal any more. Of course, the big difference between us and them is financial. I’m sure it’s easier to have multiples if money is no concern. All you who have singletons have to only buy one crib at a time and then get to pass it onto the next baby. And although many retailers offer a 10% discount if you buy more than one big ticket item, the double item is most likely more expensive to begin with. Not that I’d trade my position for anything. After losing Matthew & Isabel, we were really hoping for twins again. Having one seemed so easy :-). And it’s really fun to buy/browse for both sexes.

Back to having multiples, I saw a couple of shows on the Discovery channel recently. One was called ‘Super Quads’. A short series about identical quadruplet girls (odds of one embryo splitting 4 times are 1 in 11,000,000). The other was about a family that had twins and then sextuplets (6 babies). And yet another family in Australia that has 2 sets of quads (although one baby didn’t make it). After watching these shows, twins seem like a piece of cake. I feel like I have nothing to complain about.

Before I sign off, I have to mention this blog called Fireflies in the Cloud I came across. Unfortunately, half the stuff I was interested buying is listed here ;-)

No comments: