Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The List

First, I want to thank Lisa Amore for her comment yesterday. I knew you were a triplet, but I didn't know your weeks of gestation or your birth weight. Reading your comment yesterday was inifinitely reassuring, especially having met you. You're so tall and normal looking (I hope that doesn't sound weird), I would've never guessed you were 3 lbs! I, on the other hand, am relatively short and was almost 11 lbs at birth. I hope to make it to at least 35 weeks as well!

A website I frequently peruse is www.babycenter.com. They send me weekly pregnancy updates which are fun to read. They also have message threads which I check out daily. I found them last year when I was pregnant the first time, and then I went to the Grief & Loss board. They also have a TTC (trying to conceive) thread and now I check out the birth clubs and multiples threads. It’s reassuring to read posts from other women that are going through the same thing you are at the same time. I’ve also posted a question or two myself and received numerous answers and advice. The most informative entry I’ve recently come across is the list below. For those who don’t know me very well may not know I’m a list person. I love lists. I have lists for everything. I love Excel so I can type up my lists and then organize it however which way. So imagine my delight when I came across this posting. A complete list for parents expecting twins. There are several different lists from what to pack for the hospital to what Mike would need to what the babies would need -

HOSPITAL BAG
Mom:
Nightgown
Slippers and socks
Robe
Nursing bra, pads, and cream
Underwear
Toothbrush, toothpaste
Deodorant
Chapstick
Shampoo, conditioner
Makeup, moisturizer
Lotion
Going home clothes
Blank journal/laptop
Hair clips
Pillow (non-white pillowcase)
Books
Towel
Eye mask
Ear plugs
Squirt bottle
Flushable wipes/soft TP

Babies:
Going home outfits (2 each)
Diaper bag
Diapers and wipes
Blankets
Car seats
Stroller
Hats
Booties/socks
Hand sanitizer
Baby books (footprints)
Pacifiers
Mittens

Dad:
List of phone #’s
Video camera, tapes, charger
Camera, film, and batteries
Snacks
Change
Cell phone and charger
Change of clothes
Toothbrush and deodorant
Deck of cards
Phone card

BABY GEAR/FURNITURE
2 car seats
1 double stroller
1 crib (or 2)
1 crib mattress (or 2)
Diaper bag
1 swing
1 bouncy chair
1 changing table (optional)
1 front carrier
2 sunshades for car
1 lamp

CLOTHING/DIAPERING
8-12 receiving blankets (some mom’s recommend 20)
4-6 one-piece outfits
8-10 one-piece gowns or PJ’s
4-6 shirts until cord falls off
4-6 socks/booties
2-4 fleece outfits/sweaters
2-4 bonnets/caps
2 mittens
Diapers 4-12 packs in various sizes
Wipes
Diaper cream/ointment
Sealable trash can/diaper pail

FEEDING/BATHING
Nursing pillow
8-12 bibs
1 breastpump and breastmilk storage bags
1 twin nursing pillow
2 podee bottles
14 bottles and nipples (1-2 for breastfeeding moms)
1 bottle brush
1 quart jug to mix formula batches
Newborn tub
8 washcloths
20 burp cloths
Soaps and lotions
4 towels
2 highchairs

SLEEPING/SAFETY
2-4 pacifiers (different kinds, not too many)
1 waterproof crib mattress liner (or 2)
2 sheet savers
4-8 fitted crib sheets
2 baby quilts for floor laying
Baby monitor
Smoke alarm

FIRST AID
KY Jelly
Pediacare
Tylenol
Bandaids
Triple Antibiotic Ointment
Bandage pads (different sizes)
Gauze
First aid tape
Cotton swabs
Digital thermometer
Nail clippers
Tweezers
Emery boards
Scissors
Alcohol wipes
Alcohol
Nasal aspirator (the hospital will usually give you 2)
Medicine dropper and spoon
Temperature tester
Mylicon drops
Vaseline
Saline spray
Diaper rash ointment
Latex gloves
Sunblock

MISC
Nursing bras
Breast pads
Breast shields
Cream for nipples
Panty liners/pads
1 camera and lots of film

EXTRAS FOR LATER
Vaporizer
Baby wipe warmer
Pack n play
Rocking chair
Play mat
Mobile
Dome playmate
Exersaucer
Big calendar to record milestones for baby book

Ok, now my initial excitement at having found this list has worn off and now I’m left with – are you serious?!?!?! Do we need all that? Remember, we haven’t started any shopping and don’t know when we’ll be able to.

Since I’ve been to L&D a couple times, I wonder if I should have a hospital bag ready. If the babies come early, I’ll have extra time to put together a diaper bag since they won’t come home right away. Btw, any good diaper bag recommendations? I like the Skip Hop Duo Double, but wonder if it might be too big? Another poster mentioned she likes the Lands End Diaper bag. It opens like a doctor’s bag which could be handy. Prior to pregnancy, I’ve always been a big bag gal and know the frustrations at trying to find something in a huge bag with a small zippered opening. But will it be big enough for both babies? For those of you that are pros at the parenting thing, which items are the ones that I must absolutely have? Please email me or leave a comment with your recommendations! Thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god that's a ton of stuff!! But I can just imagine your glee when you found the list - it is so comprehensive! I'm so happy that tomorrow is 30 weeks, each passing week is more and more exciting. Hope you and Mike finally get to shop sometime soon, and that you don't get his cold - and that he gets better quick! Have a good night - chat soon! Love, Heather

Kj said...

i have skip hop bag (single) and i think it should be fine for two babies for sure. if you start using formula and need space for more bottles i would just use a generic ice pack bag for their bottles -- they're cheaper, easily replaceable, come in diff sizes/colors and do the same job. and ohhh... i Love the skip hop. it's perfect!