Tuesday, December 12, 2006

LLL

I’m going out tonight and I’m looking forward to it! If only it was an exciting outing, but at this rate I’ll take anything. I’m going to a La Leche League meeting. La Leche League is an international nonprofit, organization providing education, information, support, and encouragement to women who want to breastfeed. It’s a pretty huge organization and they’ve been around for a long time.

I decided to seek help in advance because I’ve heard horror stories about trying to breastfeed and I really want to give it a try. My sisters and I were all formula fed because 1) my mom didn’t have anyone to help her or give her support and 2) she went back to work straightaway. My sister had a really tough time breastfeeding, so she pumped and then fed my niece (which sounds like it took twice as long as opposed to feeding her directly). Also, my MIL (mother-in-law) Sharon, said the only assistance she had breastfeeding Mike was a La Leche handbook given to her. It worked for her; at one point her doctor said she was overfeeding him!

I'll probably get the EZ-2 Nurse pillow. Does anyone have any personal experience with this pillow? Foam sounds better than the inflatable. I've heard suggestions to get 2 of them especially if you have a 2 story house. Unfortunately, with this pillow and tandem nursing 2 babies, I probably won't be able to get the much desired glider rocker. Oh, those rockers felt so nice but I doubt we'll all be able to fit :-(

My only concern about tonight is being comfortable. My contractions usually happen in the evenings when the uterus is tired and the babies are more active. Plus, I may be sitting on a hard folding chair as opposed to lying down on the couch surrounded by pillows. I’ll let you know how it goes. And in the meantime, if you have any stories to share or wisdom to impart on a newbie like me, please send me an email, leave a comment or call. Since the babies are most likely going to be a bit (or a lot) premature, breast milk will really help their development and growth. Plus, formula is expensive! And remember, I have to double up on many items. Yes, I’m notoriously frugal but in this case breastfeeding would be a win/win situation.

1 comment:

Kj said...

glad you asked! i'm all about the breast :-)

i'll put together a couple of thoughts / resources and email you.

ps i have a boppy pillow, breast pump and supplies that i can loan you too.

ps
i love you :-)