Monday, December 4, 2006

Very first entry

The past couple of days have been quite eventful. Last Thursday, 11/30, I had just made it to 27 weeks. I was pleased. I had a doctor's appointment the day before and the babies were 2lb 3oz and 2lb and 7oz. The doctor said the babies had a 90% survivability rate if they were to come out now. Of course, they would still have some major issues, but it was reassuring news nonetheless.

But on Thursday, I got a call saying I failed my Glucose Screening test. I scored 157, the cutoff being 140. That means I have to retake the test, ugh! Then later that evening, around 5pm, I noticed my underwear was wet. I got a bad flash back to when my water broke last year. I called Mike and then called my doctor's office. They told me to go to Labor & Delivery (L&D). Mike left work early and picked me up.

At the hospital, they have 3 tests to determine if its amniotic fluid. Fortunately, all 3 tests came back negative for amniotic fluid, but I was having contractions they were concerned about. Initially, they put in an IV drip (hydration helps reduce contractions). I felt better, but apparently I was still having the contractions so they gave me a shot of terbutaline. That worked, but the downside is that it makes my heart beat much faster and gets me agitated. The doctor monitored me for a while before I got the green light to go home. I was there for about 4 hours, but I was really glad to come home.

I had a pretty uneventful weekend and now it's Monday. I had to be at the doctor's office at 8am for my second Glucose Screening test. This one is the icky one. Like last time, I had to drink a glucose drink (cola flavored this time), but I had to have 4 blood draws! I only have 2 arms! I'll find out the result tomorrow. My nurse, Mary, is a sweetheart. She's going to call me first thing in the morning so I know whether or not I can try out the new Carl's Jr Mint Chocolate Chip shake. Oh man, I really hope I pass!


Monica said...

What a great idea, Lisa!!! Thanks for the post, it's hard to keep in touch with everyone and telling all the same thing over and over must be exhausting. I look forward to your second posting; we miss you guys, especially Poquita!

Rome in London said...

I'm so glad you're doing this! It's a geat way to keep yourself occupied and also so I can stop worrying inbetween phone calls (now just inbetween blogs). But it's better than not knowing at all... I'm glad to see you are hanging in there and fighting to make it through. You've all come sooo far! I'm working on a blog now too. I'll keep you posted as you keep posting!

Kj said...

ditto to your other blogging friend's comments. i am so glad you're doing this blog too. rooting for you every step of the way.

Heabro said...

This is great! It's been a little hard to stay in touch after all of the happenings, and I've been thinking of you and the eggis all the time, hoping for continued success. I'll definitely keep checking in - with fingers crossed for 32 (maybe even 36!!) weeks! Lots of love - Heather

R K said...

LISA....oh my this lisa rhew of northridge, ca fame?! i hope so! it's me your old friend from school, RENATA. if this isnt lisa rhew of yolanda ave, oops. sorry. but if it is let me know...i will check back here every day!