Thursday, January 18, 2007

34 weeks!

34 weeks today! Here’s what Babycenter.com say about this milestone.

“Your baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds and is probably almost 18 inches long. Her fat layers — which she'll need to regulate her body temperature once she's born — are filling her out, making her rounder. Her central nervous system is still maturing and her lungs are well developed by now.”

All good stuff, so how come I’m not ready for them to come out? Is it fear that wants to keep them inside as long as possible instead of having them in 1 week and 5 days?

I had my second NST appointment today. Babies are doing great. They were very cooperative and I was at the doctor’s office for only an hour. She also checked the amniotic fluid level and everything was right on track. Even though I have no reason to be concerned (no telltale signs of labor), it’s always a relief to hear that everything looks perfect.

Yesterday we had our first pediatrician appointment. One of the suggestions I’ve read is to start interviewing pediatricians before the babies arrive. I asked my Peri for a recommendation, someone who could handle me and my incessant questions. I think we found our doctor on the first try. It’s always good to get a recommendation, especially from someone who knows you. My Peri is very familiar with me and my green notebook that I always bring to each appointment. Some of the questions we asked were to circumcise or not? Immunization? On demand or schedule feeding? She also said she could help answer the basic questions too like how do we get them to sleep? Give a bath? That’s especially helpful because the newborn care class I signed up for isn’t until February 5th, which is a little too late for us now.

I have to go now. Mike's coming home early so we can attend the hospital breastfeeding class. As I've mentioned before, we're really going to give the breastfeeding a good try.

p.s. To Rachel - No, I didn't get the Hawaiian Punch. Mike brought me home Tropicana Fruit Punch. He couldn't understand when I was crying 'It's not the same thing!!!!'

To Lorelei - I read through your Baby Notes at my NST appointment today. What an awesome compilation! I'd love to post it on my blog, but it is kind of lengthy. If anyone's interested, please email me at lisarj@gmail.com and I'll send it to you. It's the nitty gritty wealth of info on how to prepare. Stuff you wouldn't find in books, but definitely need to know! Tons of helpful tips!

1 comment:

Kj said...

two of the most important things to know about new babies. 1) all they really need is some love. 2) they are no where near as fragile as we think they are; good old mother nature tricked us into thinking they are so she could be sure we'd take good care of them :-)

for a little positive encouragement -- i've met a few mothers who successfully breastfed after tube feeding like your friend Rachel. definitely something worth researching and something a lactation consultant can help provide support and information on. i'm also happy to loan you my medella pump, but renting a hospital one for the early days sounds like the way to go.